Dr Clifford J Frank, LLM, PhD
Clifford is highly creative and full of get-up-and-go. After 38 years in the field, he still enjoys the daily challenges that Tax Attorneys face in today’s evolving world of complex international business structure and personal wealth planning, he could not have chosen a more complex issue for his first book.
2015 Leading Adviser – Acquisition International
2016 Contributor – Practical Law
“3 Ways to Settle Your Tax: Staying in Switzerland and Preserving Your Anonymity.”
“REIT’ s creating value & liquidity from a property portfolio tax efficiently.”
“UK Tax Questions and Answers – Global Guide 2016 – 2017”
“Why me? A tax investigation, publication September 2016”
In 1990, together with a then-leading firm of solicitors in the UK, he successfully represented Saudi Arabian Airlines in a complex tax compliance issue. His firm was the first firm outside of HMRC appointed to operate an ad-hoc tax collection scheme. In HMRC v M (1994), Clifford represented M in a cross-border tax investigation that crossed several borders including Switzerland, resulting in M’s tax liability being reduced from £2.6m to £74,000.
In 2005, he completed his Masters in International Tax and in 2008 a Higher Diploma in International Arbitration from London University. Clifford joined LEXeFISCAL, Legal and Tax Advisors in 2010 and became a partner in 2012. In 2015 he was awarded a doctorate from Barclay School of Law.
Some of the recent transactions
- Acting for seller in share sale, involved de-grouping issues and properties held outside the UK transferred to the UK: GB£6.1 million.
- Reorganisation of international group for royalty planning: GB£26 million.
- National Crime Agency investigation: GB£1.3 million.
- Acting for creditors group in GLA, action against an insolvent group: GB£6.4 million.
- Inheritance tax planning/cross-border Cyprus, Jersey and UK.
- Representing clients in HMRC fraud investigation, involving non-resident companies.
- Incorporating property investment partnership resulting in SDLT savings of GB£560,000.
- EIS application for business operating in central Africa, in bio-fuel (renewable energy) to raise capital of GB£4 million.
- Restructuring real estate portfolio MKV £64m resulting in tax savings of £1.1m and IHT savings of £4m.
- Consulting major Italian Merchant bank on establishing UK interim holding company.
- Restructuring GB£1 million of foreign loans bringing the same onshore, with a 10% tax charge.
LLM (tax), 2005; HDipICArb 2008, London University; Certified Mediator, Regent University, London; Cavalla International University (Barclay School of Law) Minnesota (USA)-2015: Degree of Doctor of Juridical Science (International Financial Law) and Degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Law (Honoris Causa) PhD, 2015
From May 2016, Clifford joined My Business Counsel.
LLB (Part complete)